Friday, October 23, 2015

Storytelling for Week 9: Radha and Krishna

Radha and Krishna 



Radha just started junior year of high school and was turning 16. “This year was going to be a great and momentous year” – she told herself in the morning. Radha met up with her friends. They caught each other up with what they did over the summer while walking to school. It was really like any first day of school. They saw some familiar faces and some not so familiar faces – it was a pretty big school. 

Being a junior meant that Radha would be taking some upper-division courses, which means that she may have some classes with seniors. Radha did not really think any of this. Until in her afternoon class a senior boy walked into her class and sat next to her. She could not take her eyes off of him. He had black waving hair and he smelled of jasmine. 

As the teacher of the class was calling out attendance, Radha waited and listened for his name. The teacher called out the name “Krishna” and the boy next to her responded “here.” So his name is Krishna. Radha could not think of a better name for the boy sitting next to him. Throughout the whole class they did not exchange one word. Radha was too shy to say anything anyways.
After the first day of school was finally over, Radha met up with her friends to walk back home. She used this opportunity to them all about Krishna. She talked all the way from school to her house. She really adored him. Her friends could tell how much Radha liked Krishna just based on her expression while she was telling them about him so they tried to give Radha some advice on how to them talking. They suggested pretending to need a pencil to borrow or needing help with the class homework. These all were good suggestions but it was a matter if Radha was willing to do them.

Weeks went by and still Radha and Krishna had not exchanged even one word. The longer Radha waited to talk to him the harder is getting the courage to talk to him. 

One day during class the teacher announced that she was going pair everyone up for project they must complete by the end of the semester. As the teacher was calling out the pairs, she said Radha’s name and to her surprised she also said Krishna’s name. It was destiny. This could quite possibly be the beginning of something amazing. 

(Radha and Krishna)


Author's Note: 
My story is loosely based on the poem "The First Passion of Radha" from the Coomaraswamy. Songs of the Love of Radha and Krishna. When first reading the original poem, it reminded me of a school girl crush. This inspired me to modernize the story. I kept the idea of how Krishna is superior to Radha. In the original story Krishna is a God this makes him superior to Radha. In my particular story I just made him into a senior which is still superior to Radha. She is only a junior. I also kept the  main idea that Radha adores Krishna. I just modernized it into a schoolgirl crush. I ended the story the way I did because I wanted the reader to make up his own conclusions of what happens next.

 "The First Passion of Radha" from coomaraswamy. Songs of the Love of Radha and Krishna by Bidyapati (1915). Web Source: Public Domain.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    I liked the way you started your story. It reminded me of first days of my high school years. This story was so cute and I like how you made Krishna, Radha’s high school crush and modernized the story. I really want to know what happened at the end of the story. Did Radha and Krishna started dating? If I had to guess, I would say that Krishna also fell in love with Radha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah! What a unique interpretation! I love how you showed Krishna's implied superiority through his older grade in school. That seemed like such a big deal in high school! I think you got the attitude just right! :)

    If you get the chance to go back and edit this at all, I would consider looking at the tense of Radha's quote in the first paragraph (making it present). Also, I might look over the gender pronouns in the third paragraph -- I was a little confused.

    Wonderful story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminded me a little of Mean Girls and how she is trying to get the attention of her crush in class. I think she even dropped a pencil to get up the courage to talk to him. Anyway, I liked how you told the story. It was a nice change of pace from some of the more serious and sometimes violent stories in these epics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sarah! Your story is like the perfect way to describe high school crushes. I remember than My friends and I would do the "ask for pencil" to the cute girl all the time. Your story was very entertaining. I like how you added a modern high school twist to the story. I doubt they could get there project done if Radha is so focus on Krishna. Great story!

    ReplyDelete