Sunday, September 20, 2015

Krishna's Birth

Hello readers. This is your Insider to the scandalous life of the God Krishna. Have you ever wondered about the God Krishna? We do not really know much about him do we? We see him as the powerful God and that is really it. Well, what if we told you that the God Krishna has a lot more going on than he leads us to believe. 

Everyone has family issues and the God Krishna is no exception to this. According to a confidential source of ours, Krishna’s family is not exactly the cookie -cutter family that everyone commonly believes. We can see why he did not want anyone to know about his past.

Let’s start with the fact that Krishna is the eighth child born to Princess Devaki. That’s right; you heard us – the eighth child. Now you are probably wondering where are all of his siblings; "I did not know that he had that many siblings." Well, the reason why he “appears” to not have as many sibling as he seems to have is because all seven of his siblings are dead. What are the chances! It gets worse from here. A family member killed them; their uncle – Prince Kamsa. Talk about a bad seed in the family. 

Now that we have your attention, let’s start this from the beginning. Prince Kamsa (a.k.a the killer) is the brother to Princess Devaki, who is the mother of Krishna. Okay, this is how Prince Kamsa explains his reasoning behind his killings. A voice from the heavens informed him that the eighth child of Princess Devaki would be downfall of him. We are not doctors or anything but it kind of sounds like Prince Kamsa is not really mentally stable. I mean if you are hearing voices from out of nowhere, you might want to get yourself checked into a clinic. 

This “prophecy” pushed Prince Kamsa to formulate his awesome plan of killing all of Princess Devaki’s children. Yeah, great plan Kamsa: become a serial killer. Krishna’s parents having knowledge of Kamsa’s plan was fortunately (spoiler alert) able to save Krishna. 

Here are the details of how he was saved. Kamsa locked Devaki and the babies in prison. Krishna was born in the prison.  Fortunately, Krishna’s father, Vasudeva, escaped without the knowledge of Kamsa with Krishna and replaced Krishna with another baby that was a girl. Kamsa was not aware of the supposed sex of Princess Devaki’s baby. He did not even notice that the babies were switched.

Following through on his plan, Kamsa tried to kill the baby girl, who he thought was the eighth child born to Devaki, but fortunately the baby escaped. We do not know how but I mean what’s important is that she is alive. In the end, both Krishna and the baby girl, who replaced him temporarily, are alive. Well, at least this story kind of has a happy ending. It kind of detracts from all of the family craziness for a second. So, moral of the story: do not trust anyone even (or especially) your family. 

If you enjoyed this, don’t think this is it. There is more to the God Krishna than meets the eyes and we have all of the info. Until next time then. 
(Baby Krishna)


Author’s Note: 
My story was based on the story of Krishna’s Birth from Famous Indian Legends. I included all of the main information from the story but put a twist on it. I wrote the story in an “Insider” tone instead. By using this theme, I was able to expose the story’s main points. In my story I focused on the scandalous portions and emphasized them through a “gossip” tone. I focused on how Krishna’s uncle killed his siblings and tried to kill him because it was prophesied that he would be the downfall of his uncle. I also wanted to depict just how evil his uncle was. The purpose of this story was to show the readers how Krishna’s life is not perfect. It has faults. The reasoning for this is because I believe that in our life the purpose of the gossip magazines is to illustrate that celebrities are not like us in some ways but they are also like us in other ways. They have struggles just like the normal people. Therefore by showing that Krishna has faults, I am humanizing him. I chose the image above because I felt like it represented Krishna well in this part of his life. It illustrates his innocence. The purpose of this was to draw a contrast between Krishna and his uncle. By depicting an innocent- looking Krishna, I am portraying Kamsa as evil.

Another note is that in my particular version I left out the background of the girl who took Krishna's place temporarily because I felt like it was necessary in my story. I wanted the focus to stay on Krishna. In the original version of the story, the girl is actually Subhardra. When Kamsa attempted to kill thinking she was Krishna, she took the form of Goddess Durga and laughed at Kamsa for falling for the trick and then disappears.

Bibliography

"Krishna's Birth" from Famous Indian Legends. Website: Famous Indian Legends
 

4 comments:

  1. Great story, Sarah! I really like the “Insider” spin you put on the story. A lot of the stories in these Indian Epics are pretty scandalous to say the least, so I think this was a very appropriate approach for this story. Highlighting only the scandalous portions of the story help describe the intricacies in a way that makes it simple and easy to understand. I think you picked a really good topic to write about also. Krishna plays a huge part of the Indian Epics so I think helping people understand his background sets up a good foundation for the rest of the story. There were a few sentenced that were a little confusing to read because of grammar or punctuation. I tend to use way too many commas when I write stuff, so I might be wrong, but I feel like there are some sentences that need commas to help them flow better. But overall great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I really enjoyed reading your authors note and getting to see why you went with this route to tell the story. I love how you presented it as an Insider report. I think this was a really unique storytelling choice. But back to your author's note, I love that you wanted to humanize Krishna and I really think you did a good job of that. The layout of your story was great and the font size of your story was also excellent. Your picture choice was absolutely adorable so great job there. I like having dialogue in stories, I understand with this format it would have been hard to add dialogue but maybe you could have added an interview or a personal quote from someone. Something like that would have done a good job of breaking up the narrative. But overall, this was a great story and I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you told this story! It really felt like I was reading a "gossip" magazine or some type of tabloid and this was the perfect voice for this story. It was such a creative way to give life to the character and you definitely accomplished your goal of humanizing Krishna and highlighting the contrast between Krishna and Kamsa. Towards the end, I feel like you kind of lost the "gossip-y" tone from the beginning, but at the end you got it back with the line about having all the information on Krishna! I loved that part and it definitely made me excited to read your next story. Krishna is such an important character and, honestly, parts of his story kind of confused me, but the way you layed out his story was so simple and easy to follow that it helped me a lot! Your formatting is great and I love the picture you chose. Overall, you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was interesting to see a insider scope into the life of Krishna. There is a story book who is doing a tv show about the lives of people on earth. It kind of reminded me of that! I enjoyed your story and how it brought more attention to maybe details that you read over. I am interested now from your introduction to read more about what happens in his life. I'd love to learn more about the narrator and who he or she is and if they have a role in the story at all. Say it could be a friend of Krishna or something. I like how you are choosing to do a portfolio most of the projects are storybooks. This reminded me of reading one of those insider stories in a magazine or the entertainment tonight show that's on. Great story so far and I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete